Good college essay topics range from the deep to the weird. Here are some prompts for good college essay topics for everything from politics to literature to personal experience.
Good college essay topics about politics
- If you could be a “fly on the wall” in the Oval Office of any President, who would you choose and why?
- What has been the most important political movement of the century?
- Select a political issue of importance to you and give us your opinion.
- Tell us where you think globalization will lead us in the next fifty years.
- What will be the next great Revolution?
Good college essay topics about innovation
- What is one thing that should never have been invented and why?
- Tell us about an invention that shaped or changed your life.
- Tell us something you wish you had invented and why?
- What do you think will be the most important innovation in the next 20 years?
- What was the most influential innovator of the 21st century and why?
Good college essay topics about literature
- Tell us how a certain book, play or movie influenced you.
- Describe how a character from literature has made an impression on you.
- What is your favorite quotation?
- What is your favorite novel, play, movie, etc.?
- If you could be the antagonist in any book, who would you be?
Good college essay topics about personal experience
- Pick a favorite photograph and attach it with a description.
- Tell us about a conversation you had that changed your life.
- Write your own essay question and answer.
- If you were to write a book, what genre would it be and why?
- Describe the neighborhood you grew up in and how this shaped you as a person.
These are some examples of good college essay topics that cover a wide variety of topics. These are drawn from past questions from many of the country’s top universities. Use these examples as a guide to get your creative juices flowing.